Wednesday 7 March 2012

The Future is... Denmark!



I'm coming to the end of my third year of university. So, what am I going to do? Firstly, I'm leaving Norwich, which isn't easy to do. Many of my friends  - and my boyfriend - are staying to pursue music or other job opportunities and I feel like I've really warmed to Norwich this year. For my first two years it seemed too small, with not enough going on. This year it has boomed for live music, whether local bands or international stars. I also feel like I have fully understood my course this year. Yes, it has been hard work but I have achieved higher marks than I expected. It has made me consider taking my studying further, and has given me confidence in my writing, which I will no doubt continue, whatever route I take.

In the short term, my course finishes around the end of April. After then I'll move between home near Bristol and Norwich, where I'll have a couple more months of rent to live out. I'll carry on teaching English to French students with Educastream, hopefully taking on more lessons and saving up! After that I'm aiming to work at a few festivals, if plans pay off and enjoy my summer while teaching alongside.

With summer over, my plan is to move to Aarhus, Denmark either to live with or near my best friend who has lived over there for a few years now. No, I don't speak Danish but I'm hoping to learn quickly! The economy is much better out there than here and, apparently, there are many jobs available to non-Danish speakers. Although I'll be able to continue teaching when I'm over there - the perks of teaching via videoconference - if I can find a very part time job to supplement my pay and get me out of the house it will be the icing on the cake.

My sister and her boyfriend will be moving over to Copenhagen this Spring too, so it will be nice to have then at least in the same country, if not on the same island! Life seems so simple in Denmark. Everyone dresses so cleanly and lives so healthily, seems like a good place to start my 'real' life. I also found my dream job over there, but I fear I am completely under qualified! The Red Cross are looking for mature, experienced English-speaking journalists to work on their new magazine which focuses on asylum seekers in Denmark. I've decided to get in touch with them anyway and see if they have any slots available for an assistant with less experience but lots of fresh energy!

I have been applying to do work experience and internships with various companies like the BBC and Hay on Wye Literary Festival, so we'll see what comes of that. It would be great to get a little boost through experience with some of these places. Overall I am more excited than worried about the future! I really feel like I could go anywhere, and don't feel the need to tie myself down to a career path. I predict that more and more people in my situation will start creating portfolio careers, piecing together part-time jobs and voluntary work here and there to allow themselves freedom, so much more stimulating than a forty-year run in accounting!
What will become of the Ultimate House? We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment